Year in a Snap solves this problem in a simple, straightforward way. Choose your preferred method, and follow the schedule!
BETTER YET, do it with friends! I always recommend this because it tends to *get done* that way. Just like telling yourself that you're going to walk 2 miles every morning at 5:30, it's more likely to happen if you're doing it with a friend--not just because you've committed to someone else to do it, but also because it just makes it more enjoyable.
Let me first introduce Year in a Snap and tell you how it works, then I'll tell you how to make it better with friends.
STEP 1: Choose Your Method
Do you have digital photos or printed photos? Do you want a creative look (without the work!) or a more clean one? Think about what best fits your needs and interest. There's something for everyone in these four choices:
and coming soon...
STEP 2: Order Your Supplies
- For DigiSnap: Open your free account at www.heritagemakers.com/jenniferwise by clicking "sign up" at the upper right. Next, look at the two digital storybook/scrapbook options to decide which you prefer. To do this, click "template gallery" in the upper right, then "browse the gallery." In the search field, type 143002 to look at all the pages in the blue book and/or type 118051 to look at all the pages in the purple and mint book. Choose your favorite and click "personalize." This places the template in your account.
- For PocketSnap: Go to www.heritagemakers.com/jenniferwise and click "products" then "Anthology DIY." Scroll down to find each of the products listed in the PocketSnap image above and click "add to cart." Checkout and expect your products in around 7-10 days.
- For ScrapSnap: Go to www.heritagemakers.com/jenniferwise and click "products" then "Our Memories For Life." Scroll down to find each of the products listed in the ScrapSnap image above and click "add to cart." Checkout and expect your products in around 7-10 days.
- FOR Basic DigiSnap: COMING SOON
Over the next 12 months, you'll preserve TWO YEARS' worth of photos. (That's where the catching up comes in--you're preserving photos faster than you're taking new ones. Hooray!)
- First, decide which two years you'll preserve. During the first six months of Year in a Snap, you preserve one year's worth, and during the last six months, you preserve another year's worth. So I suggest starting with last year and then doing this year. But this is YOUR CHOICE, so do whatever seems best to you.
- Second, to simplify preserving photos and make this a conquerable task, you'll choose 10-20 photos from each month. Choose your favorites--you don't have to preserve every photo you ever take, right?? If you don't have 10 from one month, that's just fine--use what you have.
- Third, organize the photos. If you have printed photos, put them in envelopes organized by date (January 2016, February 2016, etc.). If you're going to preserve them digitally (DigiSnap or Basic DigiSnap), organize them on your computer in dated folders and subfolders, then upload them to your Heritage Makers account (where you can also organize them in folders and subfolders). This video shows you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6-iktLXqj0
When preserving photos, don't forget to *write*--this is what makes photos mean something. Include dates, names, places, and memories. What made the photo worth taking? What was funny, important, meaningful, sad, happy, etc.? Some day, someone who doesn't remember the event will be looking at these photos. Tell them what makes these photos matter.
Follow this schedule to have TWO YEARS' worth of photos preserved after 12 months:
- Month 1: Choose your method (four options above), order your supplies (step 2 above), choose your years and organize 10-20 photos from each month of those two years. Preserve photos and memories from January and February from the first year you've chosen.
- Month 2: Preserve photos and memories from March and April from the first year you've chosen.
- Month 3: Preserve photos and memories from May and June from the first year you've chosen.
- Month 4: Preserve photos and memories from July and August from the first year you've chosen.
- Month 5: Preserve photos and memories from September and October from the first year you've chosen.
- Month 6: Preserve photos and memories from November and December from the first year you've chosen. Congratulations!! You've preserved photos and memories from an entire year! It's time to go through Steps 1-3 and re-order products you'll need to start the second year next month.
- Month 7: Preserve photos and memories from January and February from the second year you've chosen.
- Month 8: Preserve photos and memories from March and April from the second year you've chosen.
- Month 9: Preserve photos and memories from May and June from the second year you've chosen.
- Month 10: Preserve photos and memories from July and August from the second year you've chosen.
- Month 11: Preserve photos and memories from September and October from the second year you've chosen.
- Month 12: Preserve photos and memories from November and December from the second year you've chosen. Congratulations!! You've preserved photos and memories from an entire year! REPEAT AS NEEDED.
The price difference with DigiSnap depends on whether or not you take advantage of the free program called Club HM which gives you a discount at checkout. You can learn about Club HM here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP7rwqJsyF0&t=822s I would recommend Club HM for two reasons: First, you get a discount at checkout. Second, you can split up payment of the book. For this 12x12 book, I would suggest joining Club HM at the Bronze level now, which places 30 publishing points (they're like Heritage Makers Dollars) into your account. Then make yourself a note in 3 weeks to quit Club HM so that it won't put 30 more publishing points into your account the next month. Don't worry--your 30 points are still in your account because you have a whole year from the date of purchase to use them. When you are ready to publish your first book six months from now, join Club HM again at the Bronze level. Current Club HM members get a discount at checkout, and being a Bronze member (which, again, is FREE) will save you 15%. You'll have a total of 60 publishing points in your account now. At the Bronze level, this 12x12 will cost you $58.02. You'll have a couple of publishing points left over for your next book (or a greeting card, address labels, business cards, etc.) while still paying less than wholesale price. After you order your book (so you're getting the discount), quit Club HM again. (You join Club HM by logging in to your account and clicking "my account," and you quit the same way. If you'd like the lowest price, be a Gold Club HM member at checkout!)
How does getting together with friends once a month to do something that lowers stress and benefits your family at the very same time sound?
I know! To do Year in a Snap with friends:
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, doing this with friends can be very beneficial. It's more fun, it makes preserving photos & memories into a commitment instead of a hope, and you can actually get some free products as the host.
Contact me (contact info in the tab above in red) to place a group order instead of having everyone order individually. I can just gather the orders if you like, or we could set up an online meeting where I can show you specific products in person and answer questions. I can include Club HM purchases in a group order, too, so ANY method you and your friends choose counts towards some free products for you.
Then you just set up monthly workshops so everyone can get together and work for 2-3 hours, following the schedule outlined above. I can do another group order for you in another six months when everyone is ready to start year #2!
ENJOY! This is a GREAT WAY to catch up on your photos and have fun doing it!