Friday, April 24, 2015

Crafting: perpetual calendar blocks

I promise some day my posts will not mostly be about crafting with Heritage Makers scrap pages!  I keep having fun trying new things, and I keep wanting to post what I'm doing!

I really love these little perpetual calendar blocks.  I don't know why, but I think perpetual calendars are kinda fun.  If you've never heard of perpetual calendars, you just switch sides of the blocks (in this case) to give the current date.  These sit nicely on a desk or a kitchen window sill.  I've made two different styles.



Like most of the DIY craft projects I've posted here, I sell these pre-made in my online shop (or just e-mail me with an order--contact information in the "contact me" tab above).  However, this post is really a tutorial about how to make these yourself.  Wellllll, not a difficult tutorial, I admit!  It's probably fairly self-explanatory from just looking at the blocks.  :)

STEP 1:
Order the cuteness!  And by "cuteness," of course, I mean a Heritage Makers print.  I designed these myself, and they are made from 11x14 prints.  Because I haven't submitted them to the Heritage Makers Template Gallery, they aren't available for public use without me transferring the project to your (free) Heritage Makers account, then you ordering it from there.  (Or I can always order it for you and have it shipped to you.  Either way, e-mail me if you want this print.  Easy, peasy.)


2023 UPDATE:  Heritage Makers became YPhoto under Youngevity (which purchased Heritage Makers in 2013).  YPhoto uses only templates, so the creativity showcased here is no longer available thereBest-in-the-industry quality and permanent cloud photo storage with guaranteed privacy are required for anything recommended here by Photo & Story Treasures, so we highly recommend Forever.  

Using Forever's Artisan program for digital scrapbooking, you can make items similar to those shown here.  This video tutorial shows you how to craft with high-quality scrapbook pages, and this one shows you how to use Artisan to create something unique and then print at home (for instances in which you need thinner paper, sticker paper, etc.)  You can see just a few examples of crafting I've done using Artisan here.

Oh, these are CUTE!

STEP 2:  
Cut out the individual pieces.
 

STEP 3:  
You will need four 2-inch wood blocks for this project (to make ONE set of perpetual calendar blocks).  You could also get away with 1 3/4-inch blocks if you prefer.  You should be able to get these at craft stores, but I order mine online because I get them in bulk.  I use http://caseyswood.com/.  Go in on it with a friend--share shipping.  :)  You can paint the blocks if you like.  Allow to dry thoroughly.  (I didn't--I'm kind of on a natural wood kick right now.)

STEP 4:  
Use a spray adhesive, permanent double-sided tape, or a Xyron to stick the pieces onto the blocks. 

That's it!  These only cost a few dollars to make, and I think they make a cute gift, or just a darling little home decor item, whichever style you choose.




2 comments:

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.