Friday, April 8, 2016

Who lives in your memory? And have you built a bridge?

There are people who live in your memory who don't live in the memories of younger generations.  A grandfather, a special aunt, a parent.  What do you know about those people that you want to make sure lives on and isn't forgotten?  How can you make sure the people below you in the family tree know about the people above you?


All my grandparents are gone.  My mom's mom was a genealogist.  She was hilarious, resourceful, and a hard worker.  She knew every plant native to Oregon and would point them out on our drives to the coast.  My mom's dad reminds me of my youngest son.  He was quiet but hilarious and had the best laugh.  He was stalwart and someone I always looked up to. 


My dad's mom had a beautiful singing voice and played the piano and the violin.  She was quick to serve.  She was a widow for 31 years, and I think one of the grandest unspoken things that I knew about her was how very much she loved my grandpa.  My dad's dad died two days after my 6th birthday.  He was only 65.  I always wish I'd had more time with him to know him better, but he was with me when I caught my first (and only) fish, and he loved sports and would play with me.


These are the people who live in my memory.  They don't live in my children's memories.  That makes me {the bridge}.


I am pleased to share a beautiful poem today (with permission) by Colleen G. Brown Pasquale over at Leaves & Branches called "Suppose You Were the Only One" that will inspire you to do something with what you know.  It's here:  http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/2016/03/suppose-you-were-only-one.html?m=1

I'm all about solutions!  No use feeling inspired without something to DO about it.


The people in your memory can be shared when you put them in a storybook!  

Here's one possibility:

 

And here's another:

 

There's no time like RIGHT NOW to preserve your what you know and remember!  Be that bridge.  It makes a difference.  

In fact, {studies show} that the single biggest predictor of a child's well-being is their knowledge of their family stories.  It creates a sense of belonging and even makes kids more resilient.

Here's a simple and straightforward method for making an heirloom-quality legacy storybook from a pre-designed template:


If this method for publishing a legacy story looks good to you, simply {follow the directions here to make your own}!

So don't let who you remember and what you know only live in your head.  Make a record of it!  It will be priceless to you and to generations.  


4 comments:

  1. Lovely. I enjoyed your vignettes. I have inherited a book where my husband's family did this...it is an incredible history to have...not just the names and dates but their description, character traits, and stories! I have tried to do the same in my family. I'm almost done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Janine. I'm glad to hear you have family histories like this and are creating some, too. It really does mean the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading Colleen's post. Like I said on her post, I'm the only one who knows things about my grandparents, my children and grandbabies know nothing except what I tell them or write about. I enjoyed seeing your photos. Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 83. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad--I really enjoyed Colleen's post as well. Yes, making some sort of record for future generations is so meaningful. I'm glad you're doing that. I love doing it myself. Thanks for reading and commenting, and for the share! Much appreciated. :)

      Delete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.