Monday, May 25, 2015

the story of our heirlooms

I just made a book I'm SO thrilled with!!!

I moved to a new-to-me house last year, and that means not everything fits where it used to go.  So in reorganizing some things, I thought I really ought to make a record of the things I have that have been passed down from my parents, grandparents, and even great- and great-great- grandparents!  The history and significance of some of these things needs to be somewhere other than my own memory!   

So I decided to make a storybook.


This is the front cover.  I took photos of each of the objects.  I put one object on each page with a description--where did it come from, who owned it, any other special significance.

I made a very simple design for this storybook.  I didn't want too much bling or busyness on the pages so that the focus would be on the heirlooms.

I got the idea for this book from a Pinterest pin I saw once about recording the history of your Christmas ornaments.  But look how lovely this is for heirlooms!



UPDATE 2023:  I created this book using a now-defunct software program called Studio by Heritage Makers, but this would be very easy to do today with templates using free software from Forever's Design & Print program.  This video shows you how easy it is to use Design & Print to put in your hands whatever story you'd like to tell.  The video here is about publishing a life story, but the same process applies to a book about heirlooms!  


You could also make a book like this using Forever's Artisan software program if you prefer full flexibility on pages.  

I got the book back a couple of days ago and I LOVE it!!  It will become its own heirloom.      

4 comments:

  1. What a neat idea!! Thanks so much for linking up at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 3. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a really neat resource to have. I'm glad that my kids will always know where our family treasures came from, and even sometimes now I forget which great-grandma... ;) I was also able to share the digital PDF file of the book with my siblings, too! Thanks for the comment and for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Jennifer, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 4.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.