Friday, April 14, 2017

Memory-Keeping Mythbusting: myth #2

The memory-keeping myth we're going to bust this week is similar to the one we busted last week:  {"I'm not creative, so I'm not into memory-keeping."}  Although they're related, myth #2 focuses specifically on the s-word, "SCRAPBOOKING".  Say that word, and you definitely get a reaction.  Love it or hate it.  

And it has created what I feel is probably the biggest myth in memory-keeping.


Myth #2
I really wish I didn't hear this myth as often as I do:  "I don't preserve my photos because I'm not a scrapbooker."

Pish posh.  I truly hate hearing this because it's not only untrue, it's nonsense.


Busting this myth doesn't take much.  I have only three things to say about this one.

FACT.  Scrapbooking is about 25-30 years old.

FACT.  Photography is about 200 years old.

FACT.  People obviously found something to do with their photos before scrapbooking.

Now I will be the first to admit that I like making things pretty and I like creativity and creating.  I admit that my memory-keeping style could be referred to as "scrapbooking" (though I do it digitally so it goes faster and I can easily do multiple copies for multiple kiddos), but I also know that scrapbooking is an optional way to preserve photos and memories.



To be honest with you, I feel like there is something sacred about thumbing through old photo albums.  My grandma recorded everything.  I know who everyone is, where the photo was taken, the date, and sometimes some additional random facts.  There isn't anything fancy or cute or pretty about those albums--in fact, everything is monochrome--but when I look at them, my heart swells because those are my people.  I get to see them just living their lives 50 or 100 years ago, and I'm right there with them.

Being a non-scrapbooker is a non-issue!  Photos and memories don't need to be scrapbooked in the modern sense of the word.  They just need to be preserved in a high-quality way that you can hold in your hands and heart.  

I often recommend what I call {digital storybooking} to people who aren't scrapbookers but need to preserve their photos and stories.  It has the look of something that took a lot of time to design, only... without taking any time to design.



Whatever your chosen method, all you really need to do is:
  1. Choose something high-quality.  This is important!  You don't want this falling apart!
  2. Choose something you love because that makes it easier to DO.
  3. Be sure you don't just preserve photos; preserve memories, stories, and details, too.  That's half the value of a photo!
Whatever you choose, just get rid of the idea that you can't preserve your memories and the photos that belong to them if you're not a scrapbooker.  Pish posh.

Or, in today's terms:  BUSTED!


Pin to save and share!

This post was first published on April 14, 2017, at www.livegrowgive.org by Jennifer Wise.
Find more #familyhistoryfriday posts by clicking the hashtag next to Labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I think many people today will be sad they didn't preserve more of their stories assuming those photos and memories will always be there in cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! Print is such a great way to not only preserve the memories but share them, too. It's how I've gotten stories of my ancestors and how I preserve my own story. Thanks for visiting, reading, and commenting, Donna. :)

      Delete
  2. I tried to get my daughter into scrapbooking but she had no interest. Seems now days my family just doesn't print pics, everything is on their phones, tablets, and computers. I'm the only one archiving pics and vids for them :) Maybe they'll be glad to have them one day. Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 99. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be glad to have them. The old adage "you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone" is quite true. I didn't appreciate pictures of my mom until now--it's what I have left of her. Same with my grandparents. Digital preservation is fine, I think, if you know how to use it. Unfortunately, I think most people use the cloud as a junk drawer. I'm glad you're the saver! Every family needs one. :) Thanks for the comment and share, Dee.

      Delete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.