Thursday, August 9, 2018

Why Digital Photos Aren't Good Enough

There are few things in the world with the power a photo has.  It can instantly draw you back to a place, a time, an event.  It can bring back the memory of someone dear who is long-gone.  It can even allow you to "be at" events you weren't around for or "meet" people who died before you were born.


There's just one caveat.

You have to see it.


The Photo Dilemma

How many photos do you have on your phone right now?  How many on your camera?  Have you seen them since you've taken them?  

If you're like most people, you have so many photos you haven't done anything with that you're a little embarrassed to answer the question.  Here's the truth:  you're normal.  You're average.  You're in the majority.


But, as they say, if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?

Just because everyone does it that way doesn't mean it's for you.  Photos do so much good for the heart and soul that we actually NEED them.  

What Your Photos Can Actually (Amazingly!) Do For You

Have you heard of the scientifically-proven benefits of preserving photos and memories?  I fly through them pretty quickly here, but this should help you think about your photos a little differently.


Have you ever thought about how your life would change if you {unleashed the power in your photos}?  Photos weren't meant to be stored in the cloud or on a computer, they were meant to be seen.  The only way that can happen is if we print them somehow.  {You don't keep something as powerful as photos in a box.}  

I know that some people say, "But I look at them on my computer."  Actually...  Most people don't, and I would wager that it doesn't happen very often.  

The main issue with just digital photos, though, is that they have no information with them.  They are missing their story--the whole reason they were taken.  Who is in the photo?  Where was it taken?  Was it a special event or an everyday one?  What happened before or after the photo was taken?  What made it a photo-worthy moment?

photo credit: Brooke Mehr

Photos with their stories have the power I outline in that video clip.  

How to See, Enjoy, and Share Your Photos

If you prefer the traditional print method--printing photos and putting them in a photo album you might find at a big box store--just make sure you're using high-quality products to put those photos in.  And don't forget to record the memories and details that go with them!  

If your photos are already digital, though, it's convenient to print them in {a digital book or digital scrap pages}--and be sure those are high-quality, too, because many these days aren't.  (The options listed at that link ARE!)  


These days we have too many photos to be able to see and appreciate them without some actual time and effort.  But I've got great news about that.

That effort pays great dividends!  Many things {don't produce immediate rewards, but memory-keeping isn't one of them!}  You'll feel happiness, satisfaction, a sense of belonging, and even gratitude as you start preserving your life's story through photos and memories.  (Check out that link to see what I mean.)

Some Helpful Resources to Get You Started

If it feels a little daunting to even start because your photos are everywhere and you're overwhelmed, don't worry!  I've got your back.  

Here are five steps to get you going on high quality (private & guaranteed!) memory-keeping!  There's even a photo organization video tutorial there for you, and information on preserving not just photos but family memories in video, too.

If you haven't preserved your photos and memories for a while, these two resources can be a lot of help!
Because isn't it about time your photos were a source of joy again?

We all need the power in our photos, so Pin, Tweet, or share this post!
#don'tletyourbabiesgrowuptobejpegs

Hooray!  This post was a featured favorite here:



Follow Photo & Story Treasures on social media here:
  

27 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comment!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they aren't enough! There's nothing like holding an old photo in your hands. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely miss having physical photos to look at. It's easy to take digital ones, but I often never get round to printing anything off, so these simply stay on my phone or computer. I remember though it could be months before I ever saw a photo I took on a non-digital camera because it took a while to finish the roll of film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True--we can see digital photos immediately but don't often print them, while we used to wait months to finish a roll of film but actually printed them and kept them somewhere. Interesting thought! Thank you.

      Delete
    2. This is so good. I still keep a photo album although harder and harder to find.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this with a video. I love you points and ideas and hope to do better at this once my youngest starts school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tannah. I hope the video is helpful. Kiddos in school is always helpful, too. :) Before mine were all in school, I had a scrapbooking buddy with kids the same age. We would get together and the kids would play while we worked on photos and memories. I've moved on to digital with Heritage Makers since those days, but we actually still work together! We Skype and she gets out her paper scrapbooking while I work on my laptop. It's a great way to do things. :) Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you're here. :)

      Delete
  6. There was a time when one photo was cherished and treasured, now days we have so many and don't even look at them because there is so many! Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 4. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Dee. I was looking at pictures from a trip to France recently and was stunned that I had TWO pictures of Notre Dame, ONE picture of the Eiffel Tower, etc. But those were the days of film and we were very cautious and intentional with our pictures. Digital has so many benefits, but a huge downside to digital is that we take pictures and often never see them again. Thanks so much for stopping by and for sharing.

      Delete
  7. I agree digital photos are not enough, bug seemingly this is a computer generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! That's why I try to emphasize this idea--digital photos can be fleeting, they can become inaccessible through corrupted files, and you always have to have electricity or enough battery life to view them. Technology is wonderful and can be such a great way to share photos and memories, but print is important, too. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I really need to print my family photos!! I, like most, have tons of pics in “the cloud,” but I agree they need printed and saved in a photo book! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to print my pics!! They are all in “the cloud,” and nobody gets to see them! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree. Printing images is important. And when they are printed, I sure enjoy looking at them! Take care and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when they're printed, they're much easier to look at and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by, Debra.

      Delete
  11. Jennifer, this is a great post. I just took out some scrapbooks that I need to complete. Printed photos are so important. Thank you for sharing this post with us at The Crazy Little Love Birds link party #19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stephanie--I'm glad you enjoyed it! They really are precious. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer, I'm happy to let you know that your post will be featured tomorrow at The Crazy Little Love Birds link party #20. :)

      Delete
    3. Ohhhh, I'm thrilled, Stephanie! Thank you SO much for the feature!!

      Delete
  12. Over Christmas my son enjoyed some photos in an old album. Your post is a timely reminder to me to print out more photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to hear that, Jeanne. It is just a delight to me to see my kids pull out albums and peruse photos. Remembering good times is good for the heart and soul. Glad you'll be printing out more. :)

      Delete
  13. Ha, that's me. I have loads of pictures on my phone. And you'll be horrified to know that most of my girls pictures from their childhood are in plastic picture bins. This is so informative I'm going to have to get serious about my photos.
    Thanks so much for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone, Paula! I'm glad this post will be helpful for you and your photos. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.