Friday, September 14, 2018

Fun New Ways to Share Recipes

Every family has a great recipe.  I’m a recipe collector myself, and my recipe mantra is that the best recipes are shared.  I wouldn’t have any –ANY– great recipes if I didn’t taste something, love it, and ask for the recipe.  

As we continue our #familyhistoryfriday Giving From the Heart series, we’re going to look at some fun ways to share recipes.  Whether you have family recipes you’d like to share or recipes from friends, sharing well-loved recipes is a great way to remember times together or even just come together.


Recipes Help You Make Someone Happy

A few years ago, I made a family recipe cookbook and gave it to everyone for Christmas.  I had collected three favorite recipes from each person, added a few pictures, and published it.  Everyone loved such a fun and useful gift.  


The next summer, we all traveled to my sister’s house for a family get-together.  She used the cookbook to plan meals for the whole week!  She knew she was making one of somebody’s favorite meals every time she made something.  The kids loved that, of course, and it was fun to find out what everybody likes, too.

My husband often tells me that one of the best things I do for teenage boys is give them good food!  I’m pretty sure this applies to everyone, though.  Fast food drive throughs do the trick in a pinch– they keep you from starving –but I would be so bold as to say that “comfort food” never comes in a wrapper.


Recipes help make someone happy.  They acknowledge taste and preference, and they can even make someone feel at home.  I have a friend whose son has lots of specific food preferences.  They’re not allergies, but they might as well be.  He doesn’t eat some things based solely on texture, and he doesn’t eat meat because it grosses him out.  A recipe that’s preference-friendly for him means the world.  It means someone cares enough to notice and want him to be happy.

Would you enjoy collecting family recipes or friends’ recipes like the cookbooks above?  Would your cookbook be a way of bringing people together or capturing memories of a special event?  Whatever your goal, there are some really fun ways to share family or friend recipes.  All these styles I’ll show you can be created online and professionally published by {following the steps here}.

Thanks for stopping by.  We have a 2023 UPDATE before you read on:  Heritage Makers and Snap2Finish became YPhoto under Youngevity (which purchased Heritage Makers in 2013).  YPhoto uses only templates, so the creativity showcased here is no longer available there, and they also no longer have capability to print previously-created projects like these from the old system. YPhoto is not a photo storage site like Heritage Makers was. 

Best-in-the-industry quality and permanent cloud photo storage with guaranteed privacy are required for anything recommended here by Photo & Story Treasures, so we highly recommend Forever for:  

·        creative digital scrapbooking applicable in a variety of photo products using Artisan software

·        easy photo-memory books using free AutoPrint and Design & Print software programs

·        private, permanent, secure, and guaranteed photo and video cloud storage (triple-backed-up and bank encrypted)

·        white glove digitizing services for old memories like VHS tapes, slides, old scrapbooks (scanning), 8mm film, audio tapes, and much more

Learn more here to  find similar products at top-quality with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

___________________________________________________

Personalized Cookbooks

It’s really fun to have a collection of family favorites.  Plus, you can stop calling your mom every time you need that one recipe *again*!

Find this Forever template (free) to create your cookbook here.


These make great family gifts for everyone at Christmastime, or when a kiddo leaves for college.  Birthdays, too!  

I’ve also seen this size used for Girlfriend Recipe Collections, which would be fun!

Unique Recipe Cards

As much as I like cookbooks, I really like recipes written on individual cards.  Being the recipe collector I am, I often find favorite recipes one at a time.  If you’d like to do a recipe exchange, sharing one recipe with many recipients, do I ever have something amazing to show you!  Both of these ways are the clever use of a product meant for something else!


While handwriting recipes on recipe cards or printing them out with your computer does the job, I think one of the worst things about recipe cards is their susceptibility to drips and splashes and greasy fingers.  Both of the recipe cards I’m about to show you are wipe-able!  The paper is thick and has a slick surface.  I love both of these ways to share recipes with cards.

Recipe Cards from 4×6 Invitations

To make clever, wipe-able recipe cards to share is using 4×6 Invitations.  


2022 UPDATE:  I made these cards below using Artisan, the digital scrapbooking software from Forever.  They're so much fun to give away (I cut them in half) with a ceramic Recipe Mug!


Connecting with Recipes

The ideas I’ve shown you for sharing recipes using high-quality products are really just simple ways to connect with someone.  Whether a unique gift or a way to commemorate an event, sharing recipes creates connection and memories.  I have recipes in my box that I’ve called by name– “Angie’s Italian Dip,” “Diana’s Fruit Dip,” “Kathy’s Frozen Banana Splits.”  When I pull out those recipes, I think of old friends I haven’t seen in a long time.  That comfortable {nostalgia} is a sweet feeling.  

Recipes are essentially keepsakes.

So what will you do?  How will you share a well-loved recipe with someone who will be delighted to have it?  What has fostered a great idea for you here?  Comment below and let me know–I’d love to find out.
"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.” -Voltaire
Pin to save and share!

This post was originally published at www.livegrowgive.org on September 14, 2018, by Jennifer Wise.  Find more #familyhistoryfriday posts about connections, family, stories, memories, and photos by clicking the hashtag below next to Labels.

Follow Photo & Story Treasures on social media here:
  

Hooray!  This post was a featured favorite here:

21 comments:

  1. Nice, would make a lovely gift and/or keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melynda. I think so, too. :) Such a fun thing to not only use but also pass on!

      Delete
  2. I am loving the idea of a personalised cookbook. I need to sort all my recipes out, so might look into this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are fun, Natasha. There are two templates for cookbooks, and the software is super easy to use. You can see them here: https://www.forever.com/ambassador/jennifer-wise/forever_print_library?term=cookbook&button=&facet_ids%5B%5D=361 It's a good way to sort out recipes, and then it becomes a neat keepsake or gift at the same time. :) I'm glad you like the idea--I do, too!

      Delete
  3. I tried to open your first link where you said: added a few pictures, and published it {here}, but unfortunately it does not open up. Please will you let me know the URL as I would love to look into it. Thanks in advance.
    I visited you via Eclectic Red Barn: Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop: Resolutions or Not on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop
    My links: 79+80. We will be honored if you share your links with us at SeniorSalonPitStop. Link under BLOGGING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Esme. I changed it. Sorry I overlooked that--I had to edit this post a bit ago (the red text you saw) when the company I originally published that book with was bought and changed dramatically. A better option now is the link under the image that says "Classic Cookbook," which is here: https://www.forever.com/ambassador/jennifer-wise/products/classic-cookbook-in-color I'm glad you'll look into it--it's such a fun idea! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. *That original link is now defunct since the website closed, so I've removed it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the update and new link Jennifer. I will for sure have a look soonest as we have so many recipes in the family handed down. Year ago I made a cookbook for our daughter when she married and just printed and then laminated it (recipes from all her friends and family) and eventually ended up with two big fat ring bound folders and she still uses it after nearly 15 years.
      Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 292. See you again next week!

      Delete
    4. What a great thing--I'm sure your daughter loved it. I think passing on family favorite recipes is so wonderful and fun! Let me know if you have any questions once you check out the new link. :) photoandstorytreasures@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Jen, what a fantastic idea! I never would have thought about gathering family recipes and making them into a cookbook.
    Visiting today from #TTMT #11&12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I'm glad you thought so. It really is a neat thing to do. :)

      Delete
  5. The favorite family recipe book is a fabulous idea. It would be neat to make one for my family for next year's Christmas gifts. I would imagine it would take time to gather the recipes, then design and finally print.

    Jennifer, will Forever have a big logo of theirs on the back of the product being produced?

    Thank you for sharing at Gma’sPhoto ge•ner•ic Linkup Party. I look forward to ‘seeing’ you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really does make a wonderful Christmas gift, Debra. It does indeed take some time to gather the recipes, but it's kind of fun to see what everyone likes while you do that "legwork" part of the book. If you use the link under the image "Classic Cookbook" in the blog post, it will take you right to 2 cookbook templates, so the design is already done for you! Once you submit your book for printing, it takes 10-14 days, depending on the shipping option you choose.

      Good question about the logo. In each book, the final page is a plain (white) "copyright" page with a small Forever logo and website. In my 12x12 book, the logo is at the bottom just under an inch square. It's not printed on the outside cover at all. So, yes, there is a logo, but it's not big at all and it's hidden as well as it could be, which is nice.

      If you make a favorite family recipe book, I'd love to see pictures! :)

      Delete
  6. I made something similar one year. It was kind of a combination cookbook and scrapbook. I had it copied and bound and gave them as Christmas gifts. It was a long time ago but my children all treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would indeed be a treasure, Donna! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. These are all wonderful ways to keep recipes alive for generations to come. I had actually created a small printable for this very purpose, but took it back down because I didn't think it was polished enough. BUT I like how Forever provides the templates to create your own style recipe book complete with photos and sections for stories. I had that idea in mind with the e-book I created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that, too, Crystal. Having templates already made WITH sections for both photos and stories makes the "family cookbook" idea extra special, I think. There's even an option to create your own using Forever's Artisan digital scrapbooking software if you'd rather design yourself, while still getting the print quality from the Forever Print Shop. That said, I think any way we can preserve and share favorite family recipes is fantastic, so I wouldn't worry if your e-book didn't feel "polished"--it still serves the same wonderful purpose! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Crystal. I'm glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  8. Jennifer, I love these ideas for sharing recipes. I love the personalized cookbook. Thank you for sharing your post with us at The Crazy Little Love Birds link party #20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Stephanie. We have had such a delightful time with our family's personalized cookbook!

      Delete
  9. Hey Jen, Thanks bunches and bunches for sharing this neat idea with Sweet Tea & Friends this month. I appreciate you so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. These are fun to do, and I hope your readers will enjoy it! Thanks so much, Paula.

      Delete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.