Friday, November 24, 2017

Family-Centered Gift Ideas for Grown-Ups

Gift ideas for grown-ups can be hard to come by.  Many of the adults I know (like my in-laws, for example) have pretty much everything they need.  If new tools or new cookware doesn’t seem like THE THING this year, read on for some meaningful gift ideas.  Many adults appreciate family-centered activities, games, and books.  I’ve gathered lots of possibilities for your gift-giving pleasure this year.


Experiences and Activities
Several of the experiences and activities I shared last week {for teenagers} and the week before {for kids} are really family activities, so they may be great gifts for adults as well.  Many of the ideas you saw here a few weeks ago, {gift ideas for the whole family}, are excellent for grown-ups, too.  The key to a great family-centered gift is to choose something you don’t normally do, and make sure you do it together.

I’ve already mentioned {Heather Lynne’s ideas at Raising Memories}, and several would be great for grown-ups, such as:
  • overnight getaway
  • hot air balloon ride
  • pottery class
  • road trip
Games
When my husband’s grandmother was in her 80s, she had ALS.  We picked her name for the family gift exchange one year, and we really wanted to give her something she could do without the use of her hands.  We found a lovely little game that I now can’t remember the name of that was absolutely perfect!  The game was just about telling your story and talking about memories.  Reminiscing was something she liked to do anyway, and it was a nice way to start family conversations and find out new parts of her life story.

That game for Grandma reminds me a lot of a new game called {Roots & Branches} by The Connections Games.  It’s a board game with questions in four categories:  Your Family, Your Ancestors, About You, and Nice to Know.  As players move and answer questions, they have a chance to share experiences and learn about their family.  This is a great game for making connections between generations.

From the Heart
Gifts from the heart are pretty much a shoe-in for grown-ups.

Update 2023:  And here's a special one I just made.  After my daughter's dream trip to Ireland, I made her a plush blanket with pictures highlighting our travels.  The colors were so vivid on this gorgeous blanket.  It's a fantastic gift!  (Except now I want one for me, too...)


Note: There are many awesome blanket templates in Design & Print
Forever's free software, but I created this using Artisan, Forever's 
digital scrapbooking software
 so I could use my own font for Ireland.
 

This is the preview of my blanket before printing.

Here are 4 more heartfelt gift ideas I love for adults:
  • I love this sweet idea from The Gifty Girl:  {kid-crafted dish towels}.  This is such a heartfelt gift from grandkids that they can DIY–older kids can write or draw and younger kids can paint or stamp.
  • I think {family cookbooks} are a heartfelt gift grown-ups can enjoy, too.  Family meals and special recipes are full of memories and comfort. 
  • Rhonda Lauritzen and Rachel Trotter at Evalogue.life just wrote a {great little booklet of thoughtful questions} to ask someone who is writing their life story or wants to interview someone for their life story.  I think this would be a lovely gift for someone with an aging parent.
  • I’m guessing I’m not the only tired adult out there, so I will say that the simple act of telling someone what you love and appreciate about him/her is a great gift.  A {“Reasons I Love You”gift is inexpensive but literally lasts forever!
Incorporate Family Traditions
Like my husband’s grandmother, adults sometimes like to reminisce about the good old days.  A great way to preserve those warm, fuzzy memories is through recording family traditions.  What do you do at Thanksgiving?  What is your Christmas Eve tradition?  What is your favorite holiday and why?


Here are two ideas I really love for recording traditions:

Does the adult you’re searching for a gift for have a lot of Christmas tree ornaments?  If so, were they inherited, or are they part of a collection?  I love this idea for making a record of all your ornaments!  Mine each has its own story.


What about gathering a collection of photos and memories from past holidays to make a record of your favorite family traditions?  What special foods do you have every year?   

Special Ideas
What special ideas did you find on this month’s #familyhistoryfriday posts?  I hope you found great gift ideas that will be heartfelt, make memories, and/or make connections.  Be sure to Pin them to save for next year, too!

Here’s one more thought for the road:  In my family, we keep an “I’d Like” list on our fridge all year round.  When you think of something you’d like to receive as a gift, you write it on the list.  As the giver, it can come in handy when you aren’t sure what someone would like as a gift.

What was your favorite suggestion from this collection of ideas?  Tell me in the comments below!

Pin this image to Pinterest to share and save for next year!
And use the social media share buttons at the left to share on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

This post was originally published at www.livegrowgive.org on November 24, 2017, by Jennifer Wise.  You'll find more #familyhistoryfriday posts at the hashtag link below next to Labels.

Follow Photo & Story Treasures on social media here:
  

10 comments:

  1. I just love all these meaningful gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blanket the best.
    Thank you for linking up at Gma’sPhoto ge•ner•ic Linkup Party.
    Take care and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the blanket! :) Glad you liked that one, too. Thanks for visiting, Debra.

      Delete
  3. These are some great ideas! This year I plan to focus much more on gifting experiences rather than tangible gifts. Thank you for the great ideas! Thank you for sharing at Tell It To Me Tuesday! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them. You're very welcome. Yes, gifting experiences is a great strategy, I think. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lyndsey. See you at the linkup. :)

      Delete
  4. Jennifer,
    I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your post on Crazy Little Love Birds link party #10. Your ideas are wonderful, especially the one about the blanket that highlights your daughter's trip to Ireland. It sounds like she had a wonderful time exploring. The idea of a family cookbook is also fantastic, and I agree that it's always fun to have one.
    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stephanie. I am glad you enjoyed it, and I really appreciate your thoughtful comment. :) Yes, these are really fun ideas, and we have loved the blanket and the family cookbook in our family!

      Delete
  5. What great gift ideas! Love these.
    I appreciate you sharing these with Sweet Tea & Friends this month my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.