Friday, March 30, 2018

What Your Pictures Have to Do With Self-Care

For one year now, I’ve been writing every #familyhistoryfriday about photos, memories, stories, family, and connections.  I’ve written about why we need them so much, and what they do for us.  

I’ve written about how stories affect {self-esteem in kids}, how they {help kids cope} with difficulty, and even how {family stories are an antidote for teenage entitlement}.  I’ve shared my own experiences about how photos, memories, and stories help {heal from grief}.  

Last fall, I included some video tutorials about photos and memories, about {photo organization}, plus {how I stay caught up} preserving my photos and memories, and {why it’s so important} to me.  These days, most of our “photos” are just digital files, so I’ve also given lots of {tips for bringing your photos to life}.


If you’re new here, welcome.  If you’ve been a reader for a while, thank you!!  Thank you!  I have a rather bold life goal to make a difference in as many lives as I can.  When you come here, read, get inspired, and then take action, you’ve helped me meet my goal.  I hope to reconnect as many people as I can to their photos and help them realize {the importance of embracing their stories}.  I want their lives to be richer because of it.
"My grandmother made me a scrapbook because I was once too young to remember; I am making scrapbooks for my family because one day I may be too old to remember."  ~unknown
I’ve been encouraging people to preserve their photos and memories for 13 years now!  In recent years, I’ve learned a lot about the scientifically-proven benefits of memory-keeping.  Lately, I’ve combined that knowledge and experience by teaching {online and in-person classes}, speaking to groups, and blogging.  

In anticipation of this one-year #familyhistoryfriday milestone, I wanted to share in a special way the distilled version of everything I’ve learned plus the tips and helps I’ve gathered.


So I wrote you a book.




I did.  This book– or booklet, really –is a short 30- or 40-minute read that is the culmination of my 13 years’ experience.  You’ll find out the WHY of family stories, photos, and recorded memories–what makes it important and worthwhile.  You will learn how photos and memories are directly related to self-care and wellness, and how they can actually make you happier!  I bust four common memory-keeping myths, too.  You’ll find out exactly why photos left in digital form are both incomplete and in danger. 

You will come away with SOLUTIONS (a very important part of anything, in my opinion) and two specific strategies that will help if you’re behind preserving photos or just overwhelmed.

And you’ll be empowered to take action.



I gave Krista, owner and CEO of Evolve, an advanced copy of the book.  She read it and said:
"Jennifer Wise has created a quick and easy-to-read resource for anyone who has a mountain of photo boxes or unprinted photos collecting on their phone or computer. This helpful guide combines scientific research with more than a decade of Jennifer’s own personal memory-keeping knowledge and strategies for how to get caught up and stay caught up preserving your treasured family memories. In addition, the process of memory-keeping just so happens to have several positive benefits both for individuals as well as entire families. Definitely worth reading!" – Krista Palo
You can also read another review of the book from Amy at Needed In the Home {right here}.

And, just for you, I’ve created an ebook version of “The Secret Ingredient to Self-Care and Wellness” that I’m giving away free.  You can read it page by page right here!

This month on my #familyhistoryfriday series, {Preserving Pictures}, you’ve seen lots of ways to do something with your photos.  Getting your pictures off your phone or camera and into your hands, telling your life story through photos and memories, makes an enormous difference, as you will read in this book.  

Whatever you do, however you do it, #dontletyourbabiesgrowuptobejpegs  We need our photos and our stories too much.


Share this post on Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, or LinkedIn!

This post was originally published at www.livegrowgive.org on March 30, 2018, by Jennifer Wise.  Read more #familyhistoryfriday articles by clicking the hashtag below next to Labels.

8 comments:

  1. Love this! You are so wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Jan! :) Thanks for reading and commenting, too.

      Delete
  2. More and more people have digital photos, no one looks at old photo albums any longer and they used to be treasured in most homes. I suppose my grandbabies have never seen a modern day album, just the old ones I have. Your hashtag "dontletyourbabiesgrowuptobejpegs" made me laugh :) Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 132. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, I think there's certainly some convenience to digital photos, but I would never want all my memories to be tied up in an expensive gadget that depends on a battery. I never have to "charge" my books. :) I love how easy it is to put digital photos in digital books and have them printed. Print is one of the ways that photo experts recommend saving our photos, and I totally agree! I'm glad you enjoyed the hashtag. :) Thanks for reading, commenting, and Pinning, Dee.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at Crazy Little Love Birds link party #7. Your post was a pleasure to read and I wholeheartedly agree that preserving old photo albums is worth the effort. Personally, I found solace in going through our old photo albums after my father passed away. It was a crucial part of my healing process and allowed me to relive wonderful moments with him. I always look forward to having you join us at the Crazy Little Love Birds link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stephanie. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I actually had a similar experience after my mom passed away. It was truly healing, and it has helped me ever since to be able to focus on what I HAVE, the gifts she gave me and talents she shared, instead on what I LOST due to her passing. It's such a gift. I'm glad you had that experience as well. I really appreciate your comment and you sharing your experience, Stephanie! :)

      Delete
    2. This is really thoughtful & interesting.
      Thanks so much for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month ♥️

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Paula. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is intended to be a positive, informative, inspiring place, so any comments that match this vision are welcome.